Taking It to the Next Level
Since 2015, UC Merced has offered centralized administrative support that meets high standards of service, maintains thorough quality control, and frees up staff to focus their energy on more integral aspects of their department. That central support, however, has been used only by a portion of campus, leaving many administrative requests and tasks to be handled within various departments and divisions.
That changes this year, as centralized administrative support for campus procurement and travel is extended to the entire campus with the Center for Business Services and Solutions. You can call us CBS2.
CBS2 builds on the foundation of excellent service standards, quality monitoring and time-saving automation started five years ago by the Administrative Coordination Team (ACT). Many members of the CBS2 team have sharpened their acumen for serving the university through years of service within ACT or with administrative functions across campus.
CBS2 will provide administrative support in:
- Procurement (campus-wide)
- General purchasing
- Invoice processing
- New vendor set‐up (campus-wide)
- Travel (campus-wide)
- Travel reimbursements
- Travel reservations
- Human Resources (opt-in by unit)
- Personnel/payroll requests
- Finance (opt in by unit)
- Recharge processing
- Monthly budget reconciliations
See a full list of services here.
CBS2 is the product of a 2016 workforce restructuring initiative that aimed to improve UC Merced’s organizational efficiency and sustainability by expanding ACT to serve more of the campus (At the time, ACT worked with the Office of the Chancellor, the Division of Planning and Budget1, and the Division of Business and Administrative Services2. ACT has since added the Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor, the Office of Research and Economic Development, the School of Engineering, the School of Natural Sciences, and the School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts.)
Under the current work environment, decentralized administrative staff often are left without peers to rely upon for consultation and support, resulting in an inability to share best practices or foster professional growth and development opportunities. CBS2 will allow departments and divisions to optimize cost savings by standardizing processes, adopting ServiceNow as the sole means of submitting routine service requests, and delivering efficient services.
1 Now called the Division of Physical Operations, Planning and Development. 2Now called the Division of Finance and Administration.
- The new structure will allow CBS2 to provide consistent, high-quality administrative support through timely processing and completion of customer requests.
- The standardizing of processes will allow CBS2 to deliver services with an increased aptitude for efficiency, while serving as a catalyst for campus-wide enhancements in service culture and continuous improvement.
- CBS2 will provide a hands-on approach to service with a Customer Relationship Team that will focus on resolving customer issues quickly and efficiently while building long-term relationships to enhance the customer experience.