UC Merced’s Campus Travel Management team is working on a significant upgrade to how faculty, staff and students will manage expenses while traveling, and how they will be reimbursed. The system will allow users to capture an expense such as a restaurant or gas receipt through a convenient mobile app. Expenses such as Uber rides will be recorded digitally, eliminating the need to obtain paper receipts.
The new expense and reimbursement system, based on the Concur platform, will replace UC Merced’s current Express system, hosted by UCLA. UCLA is also moving away from Express, which means UC Merced also must exit.
Concur provides a user-friendly interface and that will enhance the experience for both travelers and approvers. Unlike the Express system, the Concur platform will give the Campus Travel Management team access to manage and configure the system for UC Merced.
- The mobile app can capture receipts from numerous sources, such as hotels, parking garages and taxis. Concur can recognize and record the type of expense automatically, reducing manual input by the traveler.
- Concur uses Google Maps technology to accurately track vehicle mileage.
- It will work seamlessly with UC Merced’s existing Connexxus platform (BCD Travel) for reservations.
- A feature called Concur Request will replace the existing pre-trip authorization system for major reservations such as airline flights, allowing the financial approver to ensure funds are available prior to travel.
- Concur streamlines the expense approval workflow by routing to the correct reviewer(s).
Concur will be launched in concert with the campus-wide Alpha Financials project.